Question about kick start and battery

• Hello everyone,

I'm the proud owner of one XL600LM and I have one question.

Is it safe, in terms of electrical installation, not ride itself, to run XL600 without the battery installed, just started with the kickstarter?

Vielen dank

• Ohne Batterie sollte die XL nicht gestartet werden, die XL benötigt die Batterie als Puffer.

Mit Google-Übersetzer:

The XL should not be started without a battery, the XL needs the battery as a buffer

Best regards

Dirk

• Hi Reido,

There is conflicting information floating around on this - even here in this wonderful forum.

A few years ago the consensus in a thread was that there is no harm in using a PD04 without battery because the regulator can handle the extra energy.

To me, this is a logical explanation. As far as the regulator is concerned a full battery is like no battery. It has to get rid of the superfluous energy by transforming it into heat.

If you want to be extra cautious you can watch the temperature of the regulator during longer high speed rides. If you feel that is getting too hot you can connect a zener diode attached to the frame.

Without a battery the indicator frequency might change and your headlight will probably dim at lower revs.

Cheers, Sebastian

Hinweis für Allergiker: Meine Postings können Spuren von Humor und vereinzelte Rechtschreipfehler enthalten.